LEAF advertising Begins in Earnest in September, Thousands of Test Drives to Follow

Ever since the LEAF was introduced last year, the advertising from Nissan has been, well…none existant.

Of course, one could argue that it was also unnecessary with Nissan already under the weight of more reservations than they can handle (21,000+ worldwide) with production still over three months away, starting in October in Oppama, Japan.

However, that all changes in September, when Nissan disengages the silent running mode and kicks the advertising into high gear. There will be a marked increase, and focus on the LEAF itself when Nissan begins to feature their 2011 model year lineup; but not so much in the print/TV media as traditional cars…Nissan is bring LEAFs to your door.

Brian Carolin, who is senior VP for sales and marketing at Nissan North America Inc., said that the advertising will “emphasize the car’s zero emissions” and that the “visual of no tailpipe is going to be a central part of our marketing communications.” It would seem Nissan is drawing a early line in the sand against the coming competition from the Chevrolet Volt.

This new national advertising program will be centered around test drives. Lots of test drives. So many that if right now you are not in one of those ‘early release areas,’ and you live near almost any major city, you will not be able to say that you have not at least had the opportunity to drive a LEAF. Nissan bills their test drive program as offering “tens of thousands.”

The program will run from October to December of this year. While all the details have not yet been made public, you can probably contact your local “Nissan LEAF Reservation Specialist” at your local dealership and he will make sure you don’t miss out.

So many that if right now you are not in one of those ’early release areas,’ and you live near almost any major city, you will not be able to say that you have not at least had the opportunity to drive a LEAF.

Suppose one leaves out the negatives in the sentence as phrased in the post and says instead “If you live near almost any major cit, you will be able to say that you have had the opportunity to drive a LEAF.” Is this new version true?

And if so, where will all the cars for all the test drives be? At dealerships? I ask because earlier demos and possibly test drives have not been at dealerships, at least around here.

I do not believe that Nissans advertising has been “nonexistent”. Maybe they have broken away from the traditional television / radio ads. However, the ads are all over the internet. I was on CNN.com the other day and there was a LEAF add link on that site. The link takes you to the LEAF website where it is interactive and provides various details as well as countless videos of the LEAF. Also, I thought that the LEAF Tour was a great marketing strategy. They visited 22 cities in 11 states. We went to see it at the mall by us and there were tons of people checking out the vehicle. The Nissan LEAF is taking us into a new era for the automobile so the advertising / marketing has also changed with the times.

But as for the test drive, I knew they were going to offer test drives but thousands? Good deal that one of the last selling points for my wife. She wants to test drive before we fully commit. I want to drive it as well.

I think the test drive will be a big selling point to consumers that are on the edge debating between a hybrid and a full EV. The 100 mile range will meet there needs. I have been monitoring my mileage and even on the weekends I never drive more than 100 miles in a day.

3. Herm Perez says:

Nissan has to advertise, they have to convince the public that 100 miles of range is sufficient.

Convince the public? They have 21,000+ deposits in less than 2 months.

Wait till they announce the Volt price and we will see how many people jump the fence.

5. Future LEAF Driver says:

“The Nissan LEAF is taking us into a new era for the automobile so the advertising / marketing has also changed with the times.”

Well ya, take a look at youtube – the NEW marketing machine, lots of videos on the LEAF. Besides what are they going to sell them? All vehicles are spoken for until next year. Why get people all excited unless they plan on increasing production to meet the demand?

When people really see how much the Volt will use gas (cycling engine to avoid stale gas, preheating battery, cooling battery, etc.) the LEAF will be an easy sell for people who REALLY want off gas. I can’t wait to drive by gas stations smiling while I charge up @ $1.50 per every 100 miles (if I’ll need it) !!!

GO EV !!!!

“…the advertising from Nissan has been, well…none existant. “

On TV maybe, but as James said above, on the internet the Leaf is all over the place. Not a day goes by that I don’t see their ads 4 or 5 times.

James said “We went to see it at the mall by us and there were tons of people checking out the vehicle.”

Last night I was talking to my aduly children. They liked the shopping center idea.

So how big is the gas tank? :)

RB – the LEAF does not have a gas tank….wrong site =)

10. FUTURE LEAF DRIVER says:

GO EV !!! With no gas tank at all !!!

RB – the LEAF does not have a gas tank….wrong site =)

Isn’t it nice to be thinking “Oh, no gas tank :)

Well, if you’re really bad at watching the LEAF dashboard instrumentation, then a portable honda generator gas tank is about 4 gallons! LOLGO EV !!! With no gas tank at all !!!

Maybe I’ll get a Honda generator so as to enjoy NOT using it :)

But while we are on the subject, do they come with a 240 V outlet, so that the Leaf can be charged faster?

13. FUTURE LEAF DRIVER says:

The small honda ones are 120V from what I’ve seen. They would only give roughly 6 miles per hour charging assuming 16 hours to recharge with 110/120V up to 100 miles. 16 X 6 ~ 106 miles. Perhaps the larger ones might. But I don’t think people want to haul a trailer, thinking just in case of emergency, just a small one in the trunk should work to curb any kind of anxiety for most people. $500-$700 range will work.

For my daily commute of roughly 40 miles and up in the Pacific NW with temps in the city rarely below freezing or over 85 degrees (mostly 40 ~ 60) the LEAF is a PERFECT MATCH for me!

GO EV!!!

15. RB said: So how big is the gas tank? :)   (Quote)

…I totally won that bet over there, (=
    Too bad I’m not the twist the knife sort of guy.

16. Future LEAF Driver says:

Same here James! The generator comment was for those who still might suffer from that “anxiety thingy” that exist on another EV site ;-) I’ve got a 120V plug right next to my parking space downtown. I work 10 hour days, so I’ll leave with 100 miles at end of day!

Ahhh, It’s going to be a fun time starting in the New Year!

GO EV!!!

Just pack a 50ft extension cord in your trunk. That is what I am planning to do and I will and plug in when I get to work. Who cares if it is slower that the 220V fast charge. I usually work 9 to 10 hours so with a 110/120V outlet I should be filled up for my trip home. 10 hours on a 110 oulit should produce on average 63 miles worth of charge. Also, a cord will weigh a hell of a lot less that a generator and it will not use gas!!!  (Quote)

Same here James! The generator comment was for those who still might suffer from that “anxiety thingy” that exist on another EV site I’ve got a 120V plug right next to my parking space downtown. I work 10 hour days, so I’ll leave with 100 miles at end of day!Ahhh, It’s going to be a fun time starting in the New Year!GO EV!!!

Likely the best cure for “anxiety” is to have a plan that can be put into effect in the unlikely event that it is needed. A long extension cord is the single best suggestion so far, though I can see merit in Honda generators also. Neither necessarily has to be in the Leaf, as another family member can bring it by using some other vehicle.

18. dieta dukan says:

I beloved as much as you will obtain performed right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an nervousness over that you would like be turning in the following. in poor health indisputably come more earlier again as precisely the similar just about very continuously within case you defend this increase.

19. It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or tips. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read even more things about it!

20. Cecilia says:

We’re a gaggle of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with helpful information to work on. You have done a formidable task and our entire group will probably be thankful to you.

21. Norris says:

Good site you have here.. It’s hard to find excellent writing like yours these days. I honestly appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!

22. My developer is trying to convince me to move to .
    net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.
    But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on several websites for about a year
    and am concerned about switching to another platform. I have heard good things
    about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress content into it?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

23. This paragraph will help the internet people for setting up new website or even a weblog from start to end.

24. Leandra says:

What’s Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It absolutely helpful
    and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & help different users like its aided me.
    Great job.