Nissan to Deliver Most Cars From Reservation List in Model Year 2011

The other day we had a ‘scare’ moment when it was thought that Nissan would be facing some pretty severe production issues when it came to supplying the US.

Namely that they would only produce 10,000 cars by the end of March, and that the bulk of those would go to Japan, leaving only a few thousand for the US. In the end it turned out to be inaccurate, and was deemed by Nissan as being “pure speculation” on the part of a local dealer.

However, when I spoke to the Director of Product Planning and Strategy, Mark Perry about the possibility the LEAF would be in much shorter supply than originally thought, he was kind enough to not only belay that fear, but offer Nissan’s own thoughts and projections on how they saw the reservation system playing out:

Nissan is “still targeting 25000 reservations by December 2010 and will be able deliver most during (the) model year.”  Mark also added in respect to the reservations themselves, and how many actual orders this process could lead to, that Nissan ”…expects and are planning for (a) high percentage of reservations to convert to orders but will have solid forecast in a few months.”

Of note, this fall 2011 delivery expectation should hold true regardless of whether or not you are in California (or other early adopter states) or not…as Mark also added that deliveries would be occurring for the “balance of the country by Fall 2011.”

So everyone who has plunked down their $99 can expect a delivery in 2011 so long as the Nissan dealer in their area is capable of selling/servicing one. Sounds good. I mean how long have people been waiting for a production EV?

Reading between the lines it seems like there is a 4-6 month delay between when you can order and when you can expect delivery of your car.

delivery for the “most part” in 2011..

That sounds both really good and at the same time maddeningly elusive.

3. delivery for the “most part” in 2011..

That sounds both really good and at the same time maddeningly elusive.
    Is there anything like a production schedule for the Leaf? Japan, USA, wherever.  (Quote)

The battery plant got going seriously over a month ago, with mass production of electrodes about 3 weeks ago. Work is underway in Oppama at the plant, but production doesn’t start for another 5-6 weeks…except for friggin’ Lance Armstrong’s car that is, (=

Don is right, for the most part, there is a 4-5 month expected wait time for the people ordering in August in September off of reservations. When the ‘rest of the country’ reservations open up, it will be more like 8.

are they saying that the 5 intro markets will be spread all the way till model year 2011 ends?
    Do the 25K reservations only include the (5) intro markets,?? I forget

5. Carcus says:

My email from Nissan says:

So that means I can expect delivery June to August 2011?

Carcus

My email from Nissan says:“We just wanted to let you know you’ll be able to order your new Nissan LEAF in February 2011. ”So that means I can expect delivery June to August 2011?

What state?

Being in a non-introduction area, I was kind of hoping I wouldn’t get my Leaf until it would be a 2012 model in which perhaps early ‘bugs’ and a few improvements might be made.

Still hoping!

8. stuart22 says:

“”So, while Nissan is allowing for some lack of follow through by customer who have their $99 refundable deposit in, they are estimating it will be very low, and for those do firm up, they can (for the most part) expect to take possession of their LEAF by the fall of 2011, when the new 2012 model year is introduced.”"

???

Thanks for adding more mystery to the mystery, Statik. So it seems that those who (for the most part – whatever that means) expect to take possession will have to wait until the 2012 model year is introduced….. So, what about the 2011 model year – a handful reserved for Lance Armstrong and Enterprise Rent-a-Car?

Sounds to me like Nissan is keeping their fingers crossed that very few $99ers ask for their money back – but the longer the wait is, the more likely that will happen. Is Nissan hedging their bets with the LEAF? If more $99ers back out than Nissan expects, will there be more availability postponements forthcoming? Will other BEVs enter the picture and steal away interest in the LEAF?

Stay tuned, people. The plot is just getting down to the nitty gritty.

9. Stan Stein says:

To RB and everyone, a friend of mine made his reservation in mid July and received a February order date. I made my reservation on May15 and received a January order date. San Diego is the home for both reservations. I`m guessing that ramp up is slow and Nissan is expecting to get production up to speed around May. Does this explanation make sense.

stanley

10. Carcus says:

Carcus
    What state?

Texas.

11. Then it sounds like a lot of people that thought we were going to get a car before or close to Jan 1 2011 will be waiting till March or April.

Do the 25K reservations only include the (5) intro markets,?? I forget  (Quote)

No, the 25,000 reservations are coast to coast, Nissan is saying that even those not in the early adopter states are probably going to get their cars, at the latest, by the fall of 2011.

If you are in a early adopter state, and you don’t have a August order date you can forget about december, I would think same goes for January and September reservations. December looks like it is going to be really spotted/limited (no surprise) and I guess that January will just Nissan ramping up. I think if you are in one of the first wave spots, and you can order before year’s end, you can pencil yourself in for a ‘March-ish’ delivery.

My email from Nissan says:

So that means I can expect delivery June to August 2011?  (Quote)

Sounds reasonable, that is the vibe I am getting from Nissan anyway.

12. Carcus says:

OT

Statik, here’s a question for your Nissan contacts or perhaps a topic for a future post:

The battery temperature gauge is prominently displayed on the Leaf’s gauge set … so when can I expect this gauge to be important to me and what am I supposed to do with the information? (I’ve got a few ideas on the answers but would like to here it from Nissan).

13. “”So, while Nissan is allowing for some lack of follow through by customer who have their $99 refundable deposit in, they are estimating it will be very low, and for those do firm up, they can (for the most part) expect to take possession of their LEAF by the fall of 2011, when the new 2012 model year is introduced.””

???

Stay tuned, people. The plot is just getting down to the nitty gritty.  (Quote)

No, I think my attempt to explain MY (model year) 2012 got confused for you. Nissan is saying that before MY 2012 is out on the market (in the fall of 2011), the majority of the reservations will be filled, as MY 2011.

A lot of people equate the model year with the calendar, but in reality, the next MY car starts typically in august/september of the year previous. ie) GM is selling the 2011 Camaro now, even though it is August of 2010

14. Carcus says:

Sounds reasonable, that is the vibe I am getting from Nissan anyway.

/Should be an interesting process. Still lots of questions:
    – How much $ will be put down at time of order.
    – When would payments start if I was doing a loan?

15. Ok, thanks for the input. Sounds like I’ve still got time to get the garage cleaned out.

/Should be an interesting process. Still lots of questions:
    – How much $ will be put down at time of order.
    – When would payments start if I was doing a loan?
    – If I were to trade a car in — how would that work? Do I just keep driving my trade in car until delivery date ( assuming the dealer and I had already struck a deal on trade in value)?  (Quote)

How much $ will be put down at time of order?
    –Nothing is due until pick-up. Dealers will retain cars not picked up and/or abandoned.(gladly I’m sure)

When would payments start if I was doing a loan?–Depends on your financing company I guess. Usually in 22-30 days after your take delivery if you are putting nothing down/financing the whole thing. Some finance companies pre-arrange the payment date of the month you want, then just adjust the interest as the first payment. If you have a lease your first payment is included in the $1,999 deposit (that is if you are getting a base stripper model)

If I were to trade a car in — how would that work? Do I just keep driving my trade in car until delivery date?–Yes. When your Reservation/Order Dashboard opens up in the month you have been ok’d to order, Nissan will informally ask you if you have a trade-in. That info will be sent to the dealer and you would make arrangements with him in the traditional way (as with any other car purchase). You would keep driving until you turn it in, but I would say for both you and the dealer maximizing the value (and the dealer’s risk) the most ideal time to talk about the value of your trade is when Nissan has updated you that your car is in production and they give you a estimated delivery date.

16. Carcus says:

. . . .the most ideal time to talk about the value of your trade is when Nissan has updated you that your car is in production and they give you a estimated delivery date.

18. Carcus said: Ahh, — good info. That’s probably worth the price of admission to nissan-leaf.net right there.  (Quote)

We are charging? I need to talk to my editor, I am not seeing a dime of that money.

RB said: In the picture at the top of the post, it is Sunday morning and everyone is standing around the car waiting for the llamas to get out. :)   (Quote)

The llamas are a steady, constant light in a dark, dark world.

19. Crookieda says:

The llamas are a steady, constant light in a dark, dark world.  (Quote)
    !!lol truer words were never spoken. I believe that counts as a staticism

20. Stan Stein says:

Statik, Can the dealers sell these cars or do they go back to Nissan for distribution?

To RB and everyone, a friend of mine made his reservation in mid July and received a February order date. I made my reservation on May15 and received a January order date.San Diego is the home for both reservations.I`m guessing that ramp up is slow and Nissan is expecting to get production up tospeed around May. Does this explanation make sense.stanley

Yes, good information. Thanks.
    Here (NC) I made a reservation 1st day and have a December order date. Assuming I go ahead, I’m thinking that delivery will be sometime after those of you in the western states, so maybe summer 2011 delivery.

Nissan is “still targeting 25000 reservations by December 2010 and will be able deliver most during (the) model year.” Mark also added in respect to the reservations themselves, and how many actual orders this process could lead to, that Nissan ”…expects and are planning for (a) high percentage of reservations to convert to orders but will have solid forecast in a few months.”

Wow. Lot of interesting bits there for tea Leaf readers.

This is from Wiki …

In the United States, automobile model year sales traditionally begin with the fourth quarter of the preceding year. So model year refers to the “sales” model year; for example, vehicles sold during the period from October 1 to the next December 30 is considered one model year.[1] In addition, the launch of the new model year has long been coordinated to the launch of the traditional new television season (as defined by A.C. Nielsen) in late September, because of the heavy dependence between television to offer products from automakers to advertise, and the car companies to launch their new models at a high-profile time of year [2].

So, say by Oct ’11, they plan to sell some 20K cars (assuming 80% conversion from reservation to orders). That equates to an average of 2,000 cars per month. Reasonable given that production is supposed to be about 4,000 per month.

If only 3,300 are sold till March, as Mossy dealer was told, that leaves only 6 months to sell further 17K – or about 3,000 per month. Still realistic given 4,000 production per month – though less likely. Afterall several EU markets need to be filled after Mar ’11.

23. .
    Wow. Lot of interesting bits there for tea Leaf readers.

This is from Wiki …

Interestill still is what was not said. Perry didn’t give actual numbers for either December or till Mar ’11 – just calling the 3,300 number a speculation (which I don’t think it was). Hmmm …  (Quote)

I know what you are saying from the wiki link, and the traditional definition of model years which is constantly being moved forward, but I just can’t believe Nissan intends to deliver a previous model year to customers months after the 2012s are being sold. I mean it could happen, but that is bad news for Nissan.

Same thing about the benefit of the doubt with the “3,300 by the end of march estimate for North America” quote from the Mossy dealership. I am sure he belives that/was told by someone, or interpreted it that way so people wouldn’t go to Fontana or someone else…but he has no direct quote, and he has no actual source for information that anyone can confirm. (at least that I know of, I’d love to run that story down) On the flip side to that, I got a direct quote from the director of product planning and stretegy shooting him down.

The Mossy guy could still end up being right, but for now, I am going with the Nissan exec who went on the record. Personally, I’m just not willing to put a (*) asterisk beside it for 7 months to see who is right based on a single dealer in California.

Besides, how could he know they were only going to produce 10,000 units by March’s end, and not the 12,000 they planned, especially since Nissan’s SoP (start of production) date has not happened yet, and the battery plant is ahead of schedule? That kind of information isn’t just left lying around, or let out into the public, that there is production problems imo.

As a example about being tight lipped and possbily being behind schedule, I got some info from a worker at Dham (facility that is building the Volt) yesterday about Chevy’s EREV—that they haven’t said anything at all hardly about the build out, they are still running one shift (building Buick/Cadillac), Chevy finally just added a few new hires last week for the shift (but might not still be anything to do with the Volt), but at the same time, went from producing a handful of Volt test cars in one week, to making nothing at all recently. Might be nothing, might be something, but that is the intimacy you need to have on the ground to even get a shred of knowledge…and that is just for information about cars GM is supposed to deliver two months from now, not March.

Then there was the whole ‘upping’ production speech from 12,000 in FY 2010, FY 2011 by Ghosn a month or so ago. So, it just doesn’t add up to me. And really, do we even want to labor under that cloud if we don’t have to?

…but like everything, time will tell, (=

Ryan

I did nto want a white interior so the “off grey” will work for me =)

… The interior is an off-grey cloth fabric spun from recycled plastic.I did nto want a white interior so the “off grey” will work for me =)

Yes – the interior is getting less car-showish and more practical. See the new photos in Leaf site – definitely gray.

27. Pirouz Maghsoudnia says:

Rule number one in product development – make sure you can deliver the product and provide potential customers with the needed info.

Unfortunately, Nissan seems to be doing exactly the opposite…yes there are over 16000 reservations and Nissan is generating a great deal of hype about this number but no one at Nissan is willing to answer questions about when orders and deliveries will take place. This will only mean that people are going to go elsewhere to get their EV cars (Volt!). Poor strategy from Nissan and I for one has started to look at alternative cars – I can’t wait any more.

28. ThomasWatts says:

I don’t remember anyone thinking there was going to be a lot of December deliveries. Was it not always assumed there would only be a couple? The 3,300 got shot down as fast as it went up.

.Actually, in this case, I was just looking for a date. I’m taking it as Oct 1st, not December end.Same thing about the benefit of the doubt with the “3,300 by the end of march estimate for North America” quote from the Mossy dealership. I am sure he belives that/was told by someone, or interpreted it that way so people wouldn’t go to Fontana or someone else….There is obviously a lot of a lot of uncertainty about that 3,300 – including self interest – with any bit of single ananymous source. But the Low December number, which seems to be accepted now by almost everyone now, also started out the same way. Just that it has now been confirmed by several other dealers. So, 3,300 remains shaky unless we get confirmation by other dealers.My post was an attempt to see if the 3,300 & what Perry said can still be reconciled. That looks unlikley at this point.Ofcourse, as I said, this is all reading tea leafs i.e. basically a speculation. Trying to glean more information than someone (in this case Nissan Corp) is willing to provide.  (Quote)

Pirouz Maghsoudnia – Are you the one on the GMV website that always gets so many negative votes that your post are deleted?

30. .

Hey ev,

I 100% understand what you are saying and your point. I am usually the pessimist in the fold (lol), and I agree really with what you are saying.

We have the statement from Nissan that we have to roll with, but it makes sense to keep short accounts of all the other stuff as well, just in case 1+ 1 doesn’t equal 3, which is sometimes the case.

/cheers

31. Carcus says:

Ryan

whew…

hooray for grey!

The white interior thing was stressing me out a little bit.

The llamas are a steady, constant light in a dark, dark world.  (Quote)

The llamas seem to be in the back seat, and we can see their shining lights reflected on the faces of those assembled :)

33. Rob says:

As a Michigander I’m not in an introductory rollout state. However, if that puts my reservation into MY2012, after which any initial LEAF teething problems have arisen (and been addressed), I can live with that.

34. Carcus says:

The llamas are a steady, constant light in a dark, dark world.

35. Ike says:

36. SteveS says:

So up here is flyover country (Minnesota to be exact), you would expect I would have an order date in the March/April timeframe to take delivery in model year 2011? I have a reservation date of May 15.  (Quote)

Seems to be what Nissan is saying to me. Might not happen but what more can you ask for

Assuming 90 days for special order delivery, you order in end of June to get it in end of Sept. Give or take a month.

Hey ev,I just reread my post, and I think it came over a little bit combative, (and long…which I am tend to do), and I really didn’t intent it to at all. Sorry about that my friend.

39. .
    NP. I could have made my comment better with a little bit of context. I’m always in a hurry ;)   (Quote)

I know this feeling. Life would be perfect if someone would just add 2-3 more hours to my day.

“off-grey” Now there’s an interesting term. Grey is a wide range of colors between white and black. But grey is also the result of mixing any two complimentary colors – in fact, it’s the definition of complimentary colors – colors that when mixed produce a grey.

So the Leaf’s ‘off-grey’ is ‘off’ in what direction? Is it a not quite white grey, a not quite black grey, or is it ‘off’ in the direction of some other color.

My bet is that it’s the old ‘off-white’ re-named because a lot of people are nervous about white.

I just IM’d Nissan on what interior color that will come with the Glacier Pearl exterior color. This was their response:RyanThank you for your interest in the Nissan LEAF Electric Vehicle, I am happy to answer that for you, James. The interior is an off-grey cloth fabric spun from recycled plastic.I did nto want a white interior so the “off grey” will work for me =)

41. N Riley says:

The battery plant got going seriously over a month ago, with mass production of electrodes about 3 weeks ago.Work is underway in Oppama at the plant, but production doesn’t start for another 5-6 weeks…except for friggin’ Lance Armstrong’s car that is, (=Don is right,for the most part, there is a 4-5 month expected wait time for the people ordering in August in September off of reservations.When the ‘rest of the country’ reservations open up, it will be more like 8.

42. I just signed up for a Leaf and Nissan’s email confirmation said they expected to start delivering Leaf’s to my area (Central Mississippi) in the fall or winter of 2011. That is ok with me because I still would rather have a Volt, but I will take which ever is first in my area. More or less…  (Quote)

Hey Neil!

Real nice to see you, and grats on signing up for a LEAF. Your a lot like a lot of people (and me) I think, solidly in the ‘just let me buy a mass produced, functional EV’ and you have a sale.

I have a sneaky suspicion you’ll be getting the LEAF in Mississippi long before the Volt. You could probably own the LEAF a year or two then trade it in for a Volt if you have your heart set on it, or the LEAF doesn’t fit your needs.

43. N Riley says:

Hey Neil!
    Real nice to see you, and grats on signing up for a LEAF.Your a lot like a lot of people (and me)I think, solidly in the ‘just let me buy a mass produced, functional EV’ and you have a sale.I have a sneaky suspicion you’ll be getting the LEAF in Mississippi long before the Volt.You could probably own the LEAF a year or two then trade it in for a Volt if you have your heart set on it, or the LEAF doesn’t fit your needs.

44. N Riley says:

Statik,

Both vehicles are great advancements and I would be proud to own either one. You are probably correct about the Volt being a late comer to Mississippi. That is certainly one reason for signing up for the Leaf. Plus, I just like the looks of the Leaf and I love the concept of no gas. I have a 2009 Honda Accord EX to travel around the country in. The Leaf would be perfect for my day-to-day driving needs.

Got to go home. I will start checking in on this site every day, also.

45. Nice to see a site where you are blogging again, Statik. I still check in with the Volt site and will drop a comment or two, but I don’t live on it like I did up to a year or so ago.

And it is Neal, not Neil. But, that is ok. Most people spell Neal incorrectly. (ha ha). Since the way I spell it is the only correct way in my thinking.  (Quote)

Heeh, ironic I spelled you name wrong after the years of abuse I have taken…sorry about that. I’m still writing a piece once a week or so at GM-Volt.com, but not so much with the flippant commentary there. Only person I can threadjack here is me (or Ron occasionally).

Glad to have you checking in, we aren’t the GM-Volt.com juggernaut by any stretch, but we have a nice little group going, happy to have a guy like your aboard. Don’t worry I won’t ever have a ‘most commented’ list to out anyone, (=

/cheers my friend

46. Leafnet says:

The Nissan Leaf is available in Japan (I think since Last Monday).
    Let’s see the competition Leaf Vs Prius…

47. Almost all of the things you claim happens to be astonishingly precise and that makes me ponder the reason why I had not looked at this in this light before. Your article really did turn the light on for me as far as this particular issue goes. However there is actually 1 point I am not necessarily too comfy with and whilst I attempt to reconcile that with the central idea of the position, permit me observe what the rest of the visitors have to point out.Nicely done.

48. Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff
    previous to and you’re just too magnificent. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which you say
    it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep
    it sensible. I can not wait to read much more from you.
    This is really a great web site.

49. Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your site, how can
    i subscribe for a blog site? The account helped me a acceptable deal.

I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea

50. Thankfulness to my father who shared with me about this webpage, this
    weblog is genuinely amazing.

51. scandal says:

Hello, for all time i used to check website posts here in the early hours in the
    dawn, for the reason that i enjoy to find out more and more.

52. My brother recommended I would possibly like this website.
    He was totally right. This put up actually made my day. You can not consider just how so much time I
    had spent for this info! Thank you!

53. Today, I went to the beachfront with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter
    and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.”
    She placed the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to tell someone!

54. This is really interesting, You’re an excessively skilled blogger.
    I’ve joined your rss feed and sit up for seeking extra of your
    excellent post. Also, I’ve shared your site in my social networks